On 3 July 2020, the Association of Teachers of Bulgarian as a Foreign Language (ATBFL) was established in Sofia. It is an independent, voluntary public organization based in Sofia, established in accordance with the Law on Non-Profit Legal Entities. The Association will carry out activities to support the teaching of Bulgarian as a foreign language and to establish its role in building basic values related to the achievements of Bulgarian and world culture.
Who are we?
The Association of Teachers of Bulgarian as a Foreign Language aims to help preserve and develop the role of the Bulgarian language as a foreign language, to promote good methodological practices in teaching Bulgarian as a foreign language and to form a basic communicative competence.
Its creation was dictated by objective preconditions and urgent needs. In recent years, for many reasons (personal, professional, training, business, communication, etc.), the training of Bulgarian language for foreigners has spread and increased. Bulgarian as a foreign language is taught to many students in the country, including in Universities, various private (business sector) or non-government organizations (to migrants, refugees) as well as abroad in Universities, schools, cultural centers and among the growing Bulgarian diaspora.
These diverse activities need comprehensive and consistent coordination and contacts between all participants and units involved in this training.
Among the various activities of the Association, special attention is paid to the role of the teacher of Bulgarian as a foreign language. The ATBFL will strive to represent the teaching staff before the state institutions and to be a corrective in the implementation of the state policy for the development of Bulgarian language teaching as a foreign language. It will initiate and participate in a dialogue with institutions and society on current issues of education and training of Bulgarian as a foreign language.
The Association elaborates a wide range of activities, such as:
– assistance for the professional development of the teachers
of Bulgarian as a foreign language;
– development of educational, research and publishing activities;
– development and participation in educational projects, independently or jointly with other organizations from the country and abroad;
– cooperation with national and international organizations with similar interests, including Bulgarian cultural institutes abroad;
– organizing methodological seminars, courses, schools, discussions and exchange of experience on current issues of education in Bulgarian as a foreign language;
– dissemination of good educational practices and professional information;
– development of opinions and recommendations on current issues of education in Bulgarian as a foreign language as well as their announcement and implementation throughout various competent state institutions, etc.